Wednesday, April 18, 2012

WK1- Day 1: DTR: define the relationship



Luke 9:23 - If anyone would come after me he must deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow me.

DTR: define the relationship

I'm definitely a fan. I was listening to a pastor comment on various types of sports fans and I realized I'm not even that great a fan. I'm not even the 'at the game every time they play' fan. I'm beyond a spectator and I'm not with Jesus just for the miracles; I already believe. But I am still the fan that can be distracted by other things, I just always come back.

When I think of the command to 'take up his cross daily', I cringe. I was watching the story of Jesus on GMC the other day, and I watched his life from the beginning of his ministry all the way through the end. I saw Jesus carry his cross, and knowing the rest of the story I am not sure what he has that made him able to do it.  To be fully aware of betrayal, and that the ones he chose would abandon him, and to recognize up front the pain of being crucified and to still be able to pick up his cross and walk anyway. I don't even want to do that once, much less daily. To willingly agree to walk through pain, mocking, betrayal and abandonment daily is a scary and undesirable thought. This willingness, however, is the difference between me and a follower. To be courageous and willing to do this, like Jesus, trusting that it was his Father's will and the best way takes incredible faith, love, surrender and more.

I was able to find the faith to accept Jesus as my savior, but I have to find an even deeper faith to be open and obedient to walk the path of the cross on a daily basis if necessary.

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him. John 4:44

Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord to the cross...

Father draw me toward having a mindset like Jesus, one of service and surrender that would allow me to follow the path of the cross on a constant basis. I want to come to that spiritual place where Jesus was and I need you to draw me.

No comments:

Post a Comment